AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
Locations of visitors to this pageAusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Blogs  • Pages •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter ! • RSS feed •  RSS feed  • Facebook page
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:38 pm

*** SECURITY NOTICE: You are using the non-encrypted version of the site. Click here to swtich to the SSL-encrypted version. ***

Some gave all. We will remember them.

The Australian | Defence News: Anzac Day marches cancelledExercises on, Jakarta smooths riftBidders offered inner-city spotIndonesia backdown on riftJoko lets military lead in rowABC News | Just In: Voluntary euthanasia becomes law in emotional scenes at WA ParliamentVolcano death toll rises to 6'Prone to sporadic explosions': Tourists should not have been at NZ volcano site, expert saysHolden's flagship Commodore brand reaches the end of the road.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Aptitude Test
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:13 pm 

Doola wrote:
Rd2Cyp wrote:
I did my aptitude test recently. Couldn't get through all the questions on any of the tests and couldn't do the advanced maths questions like the trigonometry but I still ended up with the options for what seemed like most if not all the officer positions including pilot.

Same. I did mine yesterday. I didn't get the tests finished. I didn't study either and have been out of school for a LONG time. Answered all the questions as quick as possible. The advanced math questions I just guessed as the were trigonometry (don't even know how to spell it) and pretty hard, think like work out angles, work out area's of semi circle etc. I think even if I did know how to do them and answer those questions properly I would of spent to much time on them. I also received a lot of options for jobs including pilot and officer positions and I didn't think I went that well in the test. The job I want I don't think that it would require a high mark and that was also on my list.

Very nice, how did you do on the Abstract Reasoning?

Gilligan wrote:
This may be a dumb question but from reading the posts on here.

"What is the point of doing an aptitude test if when you don't complete it, pass it or even understand the questions (by self admissions) they still give you the option of being whatever you want"?

Why bother?

Many years ago I felt I was ready to learn another language and went to 'langs' for an aptitude test, the result was they said I'd be better off sticking with English.
Bottom line I didn't even get a look in. So why do they do the testing if the results don't count for squat?

I have a similar view on this, only part i see the testing needed for is pilot roles. Having a year 12 needed for officer roles and given a harder test is garbage in my point of view.

Simply desiring to be a leader doesn’t mean a person has the character, skill, and courage necessary to be a leader. You either have it or you don't, when it comes push to shove your educational history blows out the window.

I believe your maturity level, and dedication is what they should look out for and you needing to prove yourself in basic training more than anything. There was none of this when my folks and family members were in the military as infantryman but this was also overseas and in a Slavic country.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:24 pm 

Hey Gilligan,

I've been thinking about it as well but I guess the aptitude test has a few roles.

The first is to determine if you're suitable for a role. I may have been able to be a pilot but I wasn't able to apply for positions like combat engineer because of my weakness in mathematics.

The second is to weed out those who can't read or complete basic math as well as anyone who may have a mental disability.

The third is probably a pressure test. They make the test long. Less than a minute per question, a basic Uni examination will give you at least a minute per question. That puts stress on people. The psychologist will tell you not to worry if you don't get them all, but you will.

The psychologist will also refuse to tell you if you will lose marks if you get a question wrong. That adds more pressure.

Then again, the fact that a test will determine what you can and cannot do is a little ridiculous.

My mate applied for an engineer position. The guy did the course at Swinburne for 3 years. He finished the test and wasn't offered the position for engineer. Makes sense, don't it?

To be fair though, if they didn't have the test and the interviews a lot more idiots that shouldn't get through will get through. At least you know that the guy serving with you has dedication enough to sit through the long arse process and can read and write.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:29 pm 

The tests do matter plenty of people have not passed the level they needed for their certain jobs I saw a few throughout my visits to dfr in the recruitment process. Secondly I know the phsyc looked in depth at my scores as he felt that due to my aptitude and additional testing that I should be going for a job that required higher apptitude and more towards an officers role, of course my interview had something to do with that but also my testing scores. So they obviously hold a bit of weighting towards your recruitment past your YOU session. Ie why would they go for someone who just barely got a good enough score for the job when someone else scored way above what was required, again that doesn't mean you won't get the job if you only just pass but from what I gathered it does add a bit towards your overall appeal as a candidate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:57 pm 

Did the test yesterday, pretty easy really. Seems some what pointless though, I scored high enough for every single job in the ADF, however, due to being the guy that stared out the window at school and not trying (12 years ago), i am missing 1 grade to be an officer, so cant do it.

Seems some what dumb to me, but oh well :smt011

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:56 pm 

WilliamWallace wrote:
Did the test yesterday, pretty easy really. Seems some what pointless though, I scored high enough for every single job in the ADF, however, due to being the guy that stared out the window at school and not trying (12 years ago), i am missing 1 grade to be an officer, so cant do it.

Seems some what dumb to me, but oh well :smt011

For the reports you bring, did they end up checking through it? What your teachers said and so forth or do they just check Maths and English grades?

If so i can only imagine what the recruiter will think when he sees mine after reading yours.

:goodman:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:03 pm 

Served in: Royal Australian Navy
The tests are exactly what they say... Aptitude.

Just because you have the basic cognitive ability to become any job in the defense force you may not have the required knowledge to attempt the actual skills training let alone a degree at ADFA.

I know grades are not everything but thats all DFR have to go on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:37 am 

Hi, only brand new on the forum and going for my YOU session fairly soon. I have read on other topics on what to wear and then read on page 7 or something of this topic a button up shirt and tie is a little overboard?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:15 am 

I would suggest saving the button up shirt and tie till the assessment day.

People did wear suits but eh.

I went in with a short sleeved shirt with a jumper over it and jeans.

I used these videos as a guide line (They're good to watch in general)

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitme ... ouSession/

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitme ... ssmentDay/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 am 

I wore a suit but no tie, im 29 though so wearing a suit is normal for me. No one else wore one, others wore maybe jeans and a shirt. Few of the younger ones turned up in what i would considering suitable for the gym..

The guys at DFR made clear they would be taking notes on your conduct etc for the assessment day, so surely no harm in putting a little effort in?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:42 pm 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
You're always being assessed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next