AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
AusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter !
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:42 pm

*** SECURITY NOTICE: You are using the non-encrypted version of the site. Click here to swtich to the SSL-encrypted version. ***

Some gave all. We will remember them.

ABC News | Just In: 'A wonderful sign of resilience': Mogo zoo reopens after bushfires closed it for two monthsAdelaide hospital is accused of 'threatening, gagging' staff who have patient safety concernsHow an outback priest is providing drought aid to his struggling parish'I did what any person should do': Hero teen intervenes in alleged domestic violence attack.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Aptitude Test
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 pm 

Well being assessed from the start as digrar said i would rather just come looking a little over the top then under dressed, right?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:50 pm 

Served in: RAAOC
Wear a suit if you have one.

No one at DFR is going to say 'we don't want that guy, look how much effort he put into making himself look professional'...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:34 am 

spotty82 wrote:
Wear a suit if you have one.

No one at DFR is going to say 'we don't want that guy, look how much effort he put into making himself look professional'...

Indeed, i am going to go in with pants that are from my suit and wear the shirt with some black shoes regarding if it's just the you session or not.

I guess if you don't do the brightest in the Aptitude test or not have a greatest educational record coming in and showing you want it from the start will give you some extra points which won't hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm 

asus wrote:
Very nice, how did you do on the Abstract Reasoning?

Yeah went really well the Abstract Reasoning. Pretty certain I got them all correct. It was the maths that did my head in but just didn't let it bother me and guessed the answer and moved on if I wasn't sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:39 pm 

I just had my you session and it was all going well until we finished the aptitude test and we sat down to fill in the medical forms, that's when i saw a man walk in with a piece of paper in his hand with names on it which I KNEW was the failure list and surprisingly my name was on it.

We were walked out and taken upstairs and told to sit down and wait for a physiologist or maybe it was even a careers counselor to call us up. I'm not 100% sure but he took us in a room and told us we failed and cant join the ADF which was a shattering moment for my self (Dream shattered) since now i have to wait 6 f***ing months and the embarrassment of telling my family and coworkers. Apparently i got 18 correct out of 40 questions and someone else got a 20 out of 40 I'm not sure on the others but they were probably similar.

I ended up guessing quite a few because of the 30minute time limit was creeping up. Anyway my score was that low it was either between a monkey and a donkey hence why the man who was talking to me asked if i had dyslexia. I was told i did alright on the second test with the mathematical but it was of no worth since all that matters is the first test.

They were nothing like the practical questions or anywhere as simple, it had things like 6,1,7,2,29,4 ? ?

And i am supposed to work it out in a minute, the boxes with the shapes were also a pain but apparently i got them right i was also not told what i should study on. His reply was "You now know the questions asked on the test"

:smt011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:13 pm 

Just a quick question for anyone else who was in my boat and ended up passing what did you study? where did you get it from?

I am currently thinking of enrolling in a TAFE course maybe to finish off year 12 and learn what is needed such as algebra, trigonometry and everything else. My score was pathetic and i want it to be in the 30's and maybe 40's next time around.

Unless there is a maths course?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:20 pm 

There is actually a simple forumla for the sequences, which is used through out the test. Its a case of working out that forumla straight away and applying it to all the other questions. When you do that it becomes quite easy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:23 pm 

The first test isnt one you study for really. Its an iq test basically. What you can do is practice those kind of questions so you train your brain to spot patterns. Lots of books you can buy on it.

MBERTEC wrote:
Just a quick question for anyone else who was in my boat and ended up passing what did you study? where did you get it from?

I am currently thinking of enrolling in a TAFE course maybe to finish off year 12 and learn what is needed such as algebra, trigonometry and everything else. My score was pathetic and i want it to be in the 30's and maybe 40's next time around.

Unless there is a maths course?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:31 pm 
Supporter

Served in: part time of my life @ ALO/ATG
There's always a trick to those questions: it's pattern recognition more than anything.
For example, 6, 1, 7, 2, 8, 3 is alternating increasing numbers: 678, 123, mixed in. The next two numbers would be 9,4.
Just take your time and try and figure out what each one is, take the patterned box ones slowly and make sure your answer is right. Do lots of IQ practice questions on the internet, you'll start to see familiar types of question and understand what they are asking. Also don't guess, I reckon that's where you went wrong, just keep plugging on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:32 pm 

Served in: 2CER
Two things.

The correct formula for the numbers sequences are NOT the same for every question.

If the first question is 1, 5, 9, 13, ? and you go, ah, add 4 every iteration, the same "add 4 to the last number" is not going to work on every sequence on the test. Especially if its something like 3, 16, 6, 17, 9, 18, ?, which is an alternating pattern (3, 6, 9, 12) and (16, 17, 18).

There is no 'one rule fits all', for any type of question.

Unless you meant something entirely different?

Secondly, and I've seen a couple of people recently post that they did, but DON'T guess. You've a 1/4 chance to get it right, and getting 20/20 attempted right is better than 20/60 attempted but messing up 40 cause you guessed. By guessing I mean 'stab in the dark.' If you have an idea of the answer you're probably better off taking that chance.

Edit: Another tip for the test is don't do the questions in order. If you're struggling, skip it. It doesn't go from easier to harder, you might find some really easy questions for you towards the back of the paper. Skim through first answering the ones you find easy, then go back and take a crack at the questions stuffing you up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next