AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
AusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter !
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:50 pm

*** SECURITY NOTICE: You are using the non-encrypted version of the site. Click here to swtich to the SSL-encrypted version. ***

Some gave all. We will remember them.

ABC News | Just In: Mack Horton weighs in on Sun Yang ban, WADA processes under scrutinyAustralia announces Iran travel ban amid coronavirus outbreak'A wonderful sign of resilience': Mogo zoo reopens after bushfires closed it for two monthsAdelaide hospital is accused of 'threatening, gagging' staff who have patient safety concerns.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Aptitude Test
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:38 pm 

WilliamWallace wrote:
The first test isnt one you study for really. Its an iq test basically. What you can do is practice those kind of questions so you train your brain to spot patterns. Lots of books you can buy on it.

IQ test or not majority of the things in it were year 12 equivalent and not something i know or i probably did but i have completely forgotten it all.

Danby wrote:
There's always a trick to those questions: it's pattern recognition more than anything.
For example, 6, 1, 7, 2, 8, 3 is alternating increasing numbers: 678, 123, mixed in. The next two numbers would be 9,4.
Just take your time and try and figure out what each one is, take the patterned box ones slowly and make sure your answer is right. Do lots of IQ practice questions on the internet, you'll start to see familiar types of question and understand what they are asking. Also don't guess, I reckon that's where you went wrong, just keep plugging on.

I see, very interesting and quite tricky i was trying to add them up as it had in the sample questions and the one they sent us in the mail.

Not one in the actual test was anything like it. I believe i went half decent what fucked me up was i guess because of the time limit and skipped all the way to 72 questions, and then guessed the other maths ones because i had no idea how to work out any of them especially the last ones.

If i skipped them all i probably would have got a passing score. I still want to try out a tafe course and get everything back and then try again.

Leonharte wrote:
Two things.

The correct formula for the numbers sequences are NOT the same for every question.

If the first question is 1, 5, 9, 13, ? and you go, ah, add 4 every iteration, the same "add 4 to the last number" is not going to work on every sequence on the test. Especially if its something like 3, 16, 6, 17, 9, 18, ?, which is an alternating pattern (3, 6, 9, 12) and (16, 17, 18).

There is no 'one rule fits all', for any type of question.

Unless you meant something entirely different?

Secondly, and I've seen a couple of people recently post that they did, but DON'T guess. You've a 1/4 chance to get it right, and getting 20/20 attempted right is better than 20/60 attempted but messing up 40 cause you guessed. By guessing I mean 'stab in the dark.' If you have an idea of the answer you're probably better off taking that chance.

Edit: Another tip for the test is don't do the questions in order. If you're struggling, skip it. It doesn't go from easier to harder, you might find some really easy questions for you towards the back of the paper. Skim through first answering the ones you find easy, then go back and take a crack at the questions stuffing you up.

They were all alternating patterns, simply adding the first number up did not work in the real test. I only wish the wait time was not 6months but 24days at maximum similar to how the americans are and the ASVAB.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:19 pm 

Leonharte wrote:
Two things.

The correct formula for the numbers sequences are NOT the same for every question.

If the first question is 1, 5, 9, 13, ? and you go, ah, add 4 every iteration, the same "add 4 to the last number" is not going to work on every sequence on the test. Especially if its something like 3, 16, 6, 17, 9, 18, ?, which is an alternating pattern (3, 6, 9, 12) and (16, 17, 18).

There is no 'one rule fits all', for any type of question.

Unless you meant something entirely different?

Secondly, and I've seen a couple of people recently post that they did, but DON'T guess. You've a 1/4 chance to get it right, and getting 20/20 attempted right is better than 20/60 attempted but messing up 40 cause you guessed. By guessing I mean 'stab in the dark.' If you have an idea of the answer you're probably better off taking that chance.

Edit: Another tip for the test is don't do the questions in order. If you're struggling, skip it. It doesn't go from easier to harder, you might find some really easy questions for you towards the back of the paper. Skim through first answering the ones you find easy, then go back and take a crack at the questions stuffing you up.

no not every single question in the test. but a very large percentage were as described, two different sequences blended together. If you approached most of the questions with the view that there is probably more than one sequence going on, you would do better than approaching them all thinking it was just one sequence (which is where i presume most people trip up)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:22 pm 

MBERTEC, year 12 stuff would only apply to the second test. Someone with no education could probably do the first test. Its aptitude, completely different from education. I know plenty of people with high educations who are dumb c*nts.

Also you dont have to finish the test. I only got to about number 55 or something, but I got them all right which is what they are looking for. Quality not quantity (obviously you need to do more than 5 though)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:29 pm 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
Agreed, it's not yr12 education related, you just need to chase down spatial awareness and number sequence tests online and practice them, so you know what you're looking for.

http://www.psychometricinstitute.com.au/
http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychotests.htm
http://www.practiceaptitudetests.com/to ... ric-tests/
http://www.practiceaptitudetests.com/ps ... ests-faqs/
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/students/care ... ic-testing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:50 pm 

WilliamWallace wrote:
MBERTEC, year 12 stuff would only apply to the second test. Someone with no education could probably do the first test. Its aptitude, completely different from education. I know plenty of people with high educations who are dumb c*nts.

Also you dont have to finish the test. I only got to about number 55 or something, but I got them all right which is what they are looking for. Quality not quantity (obviously you need to do more than 5 though)

Yeah, looks like my guessing because of the timer was a mistake and probably caused the fail. Even the guy who was talking to me about not meeting ADF standards knew and asked if i started guessing them and said i did alright on some of the other subjects.

Anyway no crying over spilled milk what's done is done, i guess I'll have to stick to shitty security work for 6 months until i can book another you session.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:08 pm 

what job are you after?

I think next time if you practice and don't start guessing (which will wreck your score) you should be able to get the job you want.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:21 pm 

WilliamWallace wrote:
what job are you after?

I think next time if you practice and don't start guessing (which will wreck your score) you should be able to get the job you want.

Artillery, only had one job option.

I do wonder what passing scores are for something like rifleman.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:38 pm 

Artillery and rifleman are the same category from what I can remember. Category A. If you pass for one you'll pass for the other.
Also another number pattern to remember would be square numbers (1, 4, 9, 16, 25...) or (1, 1, 2, 4, 3, 9, 4, 16, 5, 25..) - the latter being of the pattern (n, n squared, n+1, (n+1) squared)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:12 pm 

Bludger45 wrote:
Artillery and rifleman are the same category from what I can remember. Category A. If you pass for one you'll pass for the other.
Also another number pattern to remember would be square numbers (1, 4, 9, 16, 25...) or (1, 1, 2, 4, 3, 9, 4, 16, 5, 25..) - the latter being of the pattern (n, n squared, n+1, (n+1) squared)

Maths my weak subject, some confusing shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:15 am 

Are there ever any exceptions made?

I sat the aptitude test when I just finished HS but ended up deferring my enlistment. 2 years later I am renewing the process. I've read that after 12 months the aptitude scores expire and you must sit the test again. I fear that since its been a long time since I've done math, I wont get a high enough score for an officer position, despite having gotten it 2 years ago.

Also one of the requirements for my position is a year of university study, is the aptitude test still relevant?

Edit: Looking over my test, it says "You Expiry Date: 19/09/2016" and "Eligible to reattempt YOU after: 19/03/2014".

Does that mean the test is still valid?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next