AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
AusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter !
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:56 pm

*** SECURITY NOTICE: You are using the non-encrypted version of the site. Click here to swtich to the SSL-encrypted version. ***

Some gave all. We will remember them.

ABC News | Just In: Mack Horton weighs in on Sun Yang ban, WADA processes under scrutinyAustralia announces Iran travel ban amid coronavirus outbreak'A wonderful sign of resilience': Mogo zoo reopens after bushfires closed it for two monthsAdelaide hospital is accused of 'threatening, gagging' staff who have patient safety concerns.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Practice aptitude tests.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:06 pm 

Served in: Scabbie, 8 year Chocco
bental wrote:
Maths wise, practice algebra, exponentials and trig.

and THAT alone is the shyte that convinces me to SSO.

If Ron loves Sandra,
and Sandra love Samantha,
who has 7 more bottles than Peter,
what is the average temperature of the surface of the sun?

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:59 am 
Supporter

Last edited by sorcereyes on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Aptitude Test
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 pm 

just wondering if anyone has bought the aptitude preparation course from http://www.defenceaptitude.com.au/

if they have has it been useful or a waste of money???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:53 pm 
TLDR

Paying any amount of money at all to prepare for the YOU session test is a waste of money. It's quite honestly nothing close to rocket surgery. If there's some time between you and your schooling you'd want to brush up on your basic algebra and trig (which mathsonline.com.au is good for), and the English is really basic, common-sense stuff from memory. There's some abstract pattern reasoning that the DFR website actually gives you some semi-adequate prep for (look on there for the prep material for YOU sesh). If you want to smash yourself some more go and take a look at some IQ style testing.

But whatever you do, don't go out there and spend money on test prep! You'll be kicking yourself when you actually see what you're being asked.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:50 pm 

Served in: Scabbie, 8 year Chocco
The last time I gave Trig a go was 26 years ago.

It's unfair to assume that a method for some isn't what they need.
As long as you aren't bled dry then why not?

Nothing is common sense in the ADF. You can't confuse common sense with CDF.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:19 pm 
TLDR

Fair enough, I did my testing not even 2 months out of Year 12 so what may have been common sense for me as someone who'd spent the last 12 years with my head in various books probably wouldn't be common sense for someone who'd spent the last 12 years out of school doing something practical.

But I recall questions which went more or less along the lines of 'Soldier, Sailor, Marine, Bricklayer, which one is the odd one out?', which is what I meant by 'common sense'.

My opinion is more or less, why pay money to do something you can learn by yourself for no cost? I think if you combed through the threads on here that you'd probably be able to have a pretty good grasp of what you're going to be tested on. But fair enough, I still remember what it was like, worrying about how my YOU sesh testing would go, and if you have the coin I can't see why not. By the way, if anyone has any questions about something in english/maths (trig and algebra and so on), feel free to PM me. I'm a high school tutor on the side and always happy to help people out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:26 pm 
Supporter

It depends on your background. How well did you do in school? Did you struggle or were you the top of your class? Are you still in school or did you graduate year 12 last year? How long ago did you finish school. 1 month, 2 years, 20?

Also you have to factor in what they have been doing with themselves. There is alot you learn in school that you may never touch again in your line of employment. Hell I don't even remember the last time I touched Calculas.

I'll agree that the apptitude test is not difficult and quite a few actually finish it, BUT if you haven't touched something in years you may need that little kick to get the ol' grey matter working again. I remember my missus telling me about this maths exam she had to do as part of her course and the question was on indicies. Now I haven't touched indicies since I left school and that's been about ten years now. It took me a good ten minutes to remember what an indicie even is. Let alone how they work.

So, depending on personal circumstances, it might actually be worth doing prep and for some people that may involve forking out some cash to get the results they desire.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm 

It's over 16 years since I've attended a maths or English class and my work doesn't really involve use of what I studied in those classes (as far as I recall). To prepare for the aptitude test I bought a book of "Brainteasing IQ Puzzles" from the cheap book store and I also used the mathsonline site. I just used the free trial, and it is really good because it gives you a lesson in the type of problem and there are examples you can do. I didn't find it laboursome, it made me more confident and was really beneficial. I was recommended yesterday [:D , and both the psych and my DI queried why I chose my role, because they said I tested so highly.

I didn't guess answers, and for some questions I felt I may be taking too long on them but I worked through it anyway. I skipped some questions but not many. I read to the end of both the tests, but the questions at the end seemed more difficult on the maths test so there was about 4 there I didn't get done.

As others have suggested, the amount of prep each person requires will differ. I'd recommend having a look at the free resources that are available as they would be sufficient for many people. I had looked around at some other stuff but the two above were best for me. If you still feel there's an area that you're not confident you can do well enough in then I think it's worth giving yourself the best chance by investing in a tutorial or similar.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:52 pm 

No need to pay for for this test.

I struggled to pass year 9 and 10 maths. Not because i wasn't smart, but because i choose to clown around instead of doing the work, which i highly regret now. However i did pass with low marks.

Anyway first time i done the aptitude test i failed as i had not done any sort of preparation for it what so ever, and i had not been to school since about 7 years so my memory was quite rusty.

Second time around, i studied a lot of it myself, i didn't have anyone teaching me. Just done a lot of free tests on the internet and hired a few books from the library and i ended up passing the second time quite easily.

Keep in mind most of the maths and English questions on the test i did not learn at school.
So i basicly taught myself how to the whole thing from scratch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 pm 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
Different horses for different courses, some people will need help, some people might need a bit of assistance to get a higher score to get a specific job.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next