AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
Locations of visitors to this pageAusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Blogs  • Pages •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter ! • RSS feed •  RSS feed  • Facebook page
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:56 am

*** SECURITY NOTICE: You are using the non-encrypted version of the site. Click here to swtich to the SSL-encrypted version. ***

Some gave all. We will remember them.

The Australian | Defence News: Anzac Day marches cancelledExercises on, Jakarta smooths riftBidders offered inner-city spotIndonesia backdown on riftJoko lets military lead in rowABC News | Just In: NAB chief Andrew Thorburn takes a $2.1m pay cutSouth Korea blows up guard post on its borderWhat the EPL may look forward to when it introduces VARInside Australia's NRA-inspired gun lobby.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
 Post subject: Re: Any Kapooka tips from female soldiers for female recruit
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:01 pm 

digrar wrote:
There have been many cases of this and we were looking into it. Some people needed to see it from the beginning and if you see here and some other places, you will see that they are in agreement. They were actually talking about this on the other page the other day and I referred them.

Hi, this thread was very helpful. Just want to say thanks to all that contributed and shared tips.

Last edited by Maluna on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:04 pm 

I am currently going through the process. Biggest thing for me is I don't want to be a liability so trying to prepare for Kapooka as much as possible. Have a couple of questions.
Any tips in terms of what hair stuff I should take e.g. hairspray or gel and whether we can use hair nets for buns?
What was the hardest part of training that you wish you had better prepared for?
Did the guys respect/feel comfortable relying on you?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:10 pm 
Supporter

megan120 yes, take hairspray, elastic bands that are as close to your hair colour as possible, bobby pins, and hair nets. You and the other female recruits will be shown how to do your hair, but it basically goes like this: pull hair into ponytail secured with one elastic band at the base of your skull. Plait the ponytail and secure the other end with an elastic band. Wrap plait around so it forms a bun, secure with bobby pins, wrap hair net around, use as much hairspray as necessary to keep it all in. Easy as.

My other tip is to just be as fit as possible going in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:22 pm 

Served in: A Coy, 1MP Bn
Im not exactly fresh out of Kapooka myself, I marched out in May 2016.
But as I was a 25/26 year old female, I found the experience very different to the younger ones there...

Here are some of the hints and tips that will get you through...

DONT overpack with civilian attire. You will have local leave and be able to buy additional stuff then. You'll need all the extra space when you finally march out, there is only so much you can fit in a dive bag!!

Hairties, bobby pins, hair spray, hair nets (for hair in a bun) - you will need ample supply of all of these things. Keep your hair up neat, off your shoulders, and with plenty of hairspray/gel. whatever works for you. But keep it neat. Especially if you have a female NCO there in your platoon, they will pay particular attention to this. And those perfect bun shapers? Don't bother you wont have enough time. Maybe for march out but apart from that, no.
However I WILL say, that most of us females got up early (0540H) and went to the bathroom with our brushes, brushed our hair into a ponytail, and left it like that. As if we slept with our hair like that (HAHAHA!) It may only seem like seconds taken off your morning routine, but every second counts in the mornings!!!!!!

If you have blonde hair, dont come in with platinum blonde hair... I got my regrowth done in Wagga on leave and they overtoned it (garrrghghghghghg purple hair just before march out!). I came back and was known as Recruit Grimace from my secco (I laugh now but at the time was shitting myself). Keep it a golden blonde as much as you may hate it. It saves you from mishaps like this, where if I couldnt remove it then I would have had to dye it a brown. Luckily I was able to remove majority of it.

I wore contact lenses as well while at Kapooka but always had spare glasses good to go. I would get up early (0540H when brushing my hair) and pop them in then. My seccos didn't have a drama with me doing this. But just make sure they know youre wearing them as well...

Underwear and sports bras. You don't need a ridiculous amount (I took 30 pairs of underwear as I left my share accommodation before enlistment, but majority sat in my suitcase) but wear what you find comfortable. Sports bras you'll only need two good ones to alternate between washes for PT. And try not to have bright coloured sports bras, or straps that come up high on your neck and shoulders. Again, you'll get pulled aside for this as it can be seen as promiscuous and under the frat rule.

When it comes to showers, don't take bulky shampoo and conditioner bottles, smaller the better as you'll need to roll these in your towel roll (and nothing poking out of the sides either). A two in one is better then two separate bottles, as you'll be sharing with up to 14 other females and having second showers. MAKE SURE YOU SHOWER REGARDLESS OF HOW LITTLE TIME YOU HAVE. THE STAFF WILL ALWAYS FIND OUT. Those walls are paper thin and will hear... Trust me!

When it came to collared shirts, I didn't have any. I had blouses. However I always wore a small cardigan over the top so my shoulders were not exposed. However your clothing will be inspected before you go on local leave anyway. So anything they deem inappropriate they will make you change. Dresses are OK (I also had these) but again, ensure you're covered and it is of an appropriate length.

When it comes to female hygiene in the field, take panty liners. They are small and compact and easy to change. Sometimes you dont get time to change underwear... You'll thank me later!!!

Packs, play around and get it comfortable. Seek help if you cant get it right. It needs to sit comfortably, or you are going to have a hell of a time pack marching with that on and your webbing.

Above all, Kapooka is a GAME. Play it accordingly. Do exactly what you're told. Listen to instructions. Ask questions. Its only 12 weeks after all... :drinkers:

Any other questions just ask :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:58 pm 

So just marched out so thought I would post for any females. What is written above is all really good points particularly the Female NCOs. Also a lot of females find it easier being on the pill as often you don't have time to change sanitary products. Wouldn't recommend the arm rod as someone had their rod pushed into a muscle during obstacle course. Also work really hard on upper body strength!! Any questions about what kapooka is like at the moment, send them my way and I will try and help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:08 pm 

Hey there.

I'm heading to OTS in a few weeks and have a couple of questions about hair. I have read the AAP 5135.003 guidelines and this thread, as well as various other articles and discussions on the internet, and am thinking about cutting my hair shorter, to save time on washing, drying, putting it in a bun etc. However, the one concern I have is that shorter hair (at least the style/length I am considering getting) is harder to keep off the face when doing PT or if it's windy. Could anyone tell me a bit more about specific regulations for short hair? Other than being neat and above the bottom of the collar, is there anything that can get you in trouble? When doing PT, would it be acceptable to wear a headband or have a half up/half down ponytail (since it would be impossible to get it all up into a ponytail)?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32