AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
AusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter !
It is currently Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:58 pm

*** SECURITY NOTICE: You are using the non-encrypted version of the site. Click here to swtich to the SSL-encrypted version. ***

Some gave all. We will remember them.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum rules

Post subject: Defence App Competition - Win $5,000
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:11 pm 

For those interested in Apps an Australian Defence company is running a competition for the best Australian Defence App and is offering the winner a $5,000 cash prize, check it out at www.tectonica.net.

Post subject: Re: Defence App Competition - Win $5,000
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:51 pm 

Served in: 6 RAR and 1 MP
How about an app for an early knock off

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:19 pm 

Obviously short on original ideas. 5K as a prize is pretty light on. I'd have to read the terms and conditions of the 'competition' but I'd bet you surrendrr all future involvement, interest or claim to the idea or concept.

As an indication, a successful app will recoup around 150k per annum. The design, development costs, distribution and marketing can all be done for less than 40k The problem I see with developing ADF apps revolves around access and end users. Anything interactive or inter dependent requires network access, anything really really mickey mouse would need to be encrypted and the actual numbers of users is quite small.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19 pm 

Served in: The Queens Corps (Reserve)
I'm assuming their target market would be inhouse apps, not something thats goong to show up in the app store for 99c

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:56 pm 

AgedOne wrote:
Obviously short on original ideas. 5K as a prize is pretty light on. I'd have to read the terms and conditions of the 'competition' but I'd bet you surrender all future involvement, interest or claim to the idea or concept.

Actually $5k is pretty good for just an idea...

AgedOne wrote:
As an indication, a successful app will recoup around 150k per annum.

??? Where do you get these figures from ? For every successful app, there are thousands of apps that while good, just don't make any real money. Very few apps actually make real money...very...very few..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:40 pm 

I say 5k is light on because the company potentially gains access to a couple of hundred semi decent to decent ideas with possibly one or two gems. The cost of running a couple of brain storming sessions with a couple of developers, a network guy, some code monkeys and people in the know would exceec 5k easily and not generate half as many ideas.

Why do I know these things....25 years of doing it. Developing the idea, writing code, moving data. Losing some winning more. Yes, you are correct, the vast majority of junky, gimmick laden app's fail. Very similar to the free and shareware of the 80's, but as I said..."successful apps."

Now, this competition....any enterprising lad can have this idea for nix, zip, zero, nothing. Its an idea for a bridging app. Standard form entry for the following, gap type, gap distance, bridge class required, bank strucrture, to enquire at database level and produce, recommended bridge type, inventory, pallet configuation and build time. Db to report is a standard shopping cart with tick and flick for ordering.