AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
AusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter !
It is currently Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:09 pm

Some gave all. We will remember them.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: The 80 military training at Kapooka...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:51 pm 

Served in: N/A
Hi there, I’m looking for anyone who has done the 80 day military training at Kapooka within the last couple of years. Or if you know someone who’s done it then that's fine. I have applied for the army's rifleman position and have my YOU session coming up next month. I would like to ask some questions if you don’t mind because I am a little bit in the dark with what to expect etc. about the entire process. Thank you, your responses are greatly appreciated.

So first of all the YOU session, what exactly is involved? I understand I can just go onto the defence website and re-read it to no avail. So I’d much rather hear first hand experience if possible because I understand that better.

I apologise if these sound naïve, but I’m just excited and anticipate about joining.

What questions will be asked by the psychologist there? Are they difficult? The psychologist's interview is my main concern.
- Is the aptitude test difficult at all?
- Is there an ‘assessment day' after that? If so, what can I expect? How long is this day after having completed the YOU session?
- Do I need to know a lot about my role (rifleman) on this day or the YOU session and what kind of questions will they ask about it?
- Are there anymore assessment days after these?
- And what items should I bring to these sessions?
- Do they give you a checklist of items to bring the 80 course? Plus what is worth bringing that they don’t mention?
- How long after the YOU session & assessment day(s) do I actually go to Kapooka & start the 80 day training?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have happened to have done the 71 days of initial employment training (IET) for rifleman; does it commence straight after the 80 day military training or do you wait a few weeks? Total is like 5 months which is awesome. It's in Singleton, right?

Since I’m from Perth, will I be stationed somewhere here or at least WA? I understand that you have to sign a four year contract? Which is fine.

Plus I’m only 17 but I’ll turn 18 during the 80 day military training if it’s in the next few months or so. What I’m asking is, what would I actually do in the army as a rifleman at only 18 years old? Would I just work at one of the barracks somewhere until I’m old enough to go overseas and do tours? Please, despite your prejudices that you may have toward guys my age joining the army, don’t judge me or talk down to me just because I am young. I understand this is a commitment and this is what I want to do. I have a family history in the ADF.

Anyway, if (or when) the YOU session psychologist asks why do I want to join; do you suppose this is a worthy answer? - "I’m joining the army because I find that I’m not comfortable with the direction my life is currently heading & I feel the army is the best way to go and I have received a lot of support from my family and friends in this decision. I would like to be part of the team, share the camaraderie and serve Australia well.” Or is that too long and/or much? That’s my reason but what else should I say or not say?

And the question; would/could you kill someone? Or something along those lines. My response: “I’m not here to kill unjustifiably, but if it’s my life, or a brother’s life, I’d take the enemy’s life.”
Is that an acceptable response?

What other questions should I watch out for and what should my response be to them?

I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and responding. It really means a lot. Forgive my naïvety, I just can’t wait to get to Kapooka. And thanks to current and ex ADF personnel, you're making us proud.

Post subject: Re: The 80 military training at Kapooka...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:26 am 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
We have long running threads on the YOU/Assessment, Kapooka and Infantry IETs.
Most of the threads are stickied.
Read them.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]