AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
Locations of visitors to this pageAusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Blogs  • Pages •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter ! • RSS feed •  RSS feed  • Facebook page
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:46 am

Some gave all. We will remember them.

The Australian | Defence News: JSF loses dogfight with aged jet$13m set aside for war historyJSF ‘dogfight’ debate returnsLarger Iraq role loomsPM flies in to greet US navyABC News | Just In: Egypt to pass controversial anti-terror draft lawCommon drugs found lurking in Sydney Harbour waterQ&A panellists unanimous in warning PM against 'muzzling' frontbenchersKyrgios bows out of Wimbledon, losing in four sets to Gasquet.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: SAS/SBS Watches
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:02 pm 

Just wondering if anyone knows if there could be any validity to these at all:

http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/2008/12/s ... d-edition/

http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/2009/02/s ... lue_Plugin

Post subject: Re: SAS/SBS Watches
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:05 pm 

Location: Back in Bris-vegas, lost in the bright lights of the big smoke.
Served in: Former ARES Infantry & Dashing Lighthorseman.
I have lusted after a Seamaster for many years.

Only 2 years ago, I was a bee's d!ck from actually buying one. If the James Bond accessory pack was a reality (I really, really, REALLY want the cutting laser), then there would have been no hesitation.
Maybe next years tax cheque... this year's is going to the honeymoon and rifle fund.

As for "special" watches like that, I really could care less. I've never been a part of those units, so I have no particular urge to own their paraphenalia.
It's up there with buying gravel from Hereford to place on one's driveway. Seems impressive to some, but most will look at you funny and ask "why?".

I am however, still weighing up buying one of the old Wilkinson Sword Lighthorse sabers...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:53 pm 

Oh I'm not actually considering buying one [:D . I was just wondering if they actually do this over there. It seems incredibly unnecessary to me. But yes, I do agree about the Seamaster.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:04 pm 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
We do it here, why not there?

http://www.armyshop.com.au/catalogue/di ... d/435.html

22F wrote:
I am however, still weighing up buying one of the old Wilkinson Sword Lighthorse sabers...

http://www.armyshop.com.au/catalogue/di ... 12539.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:07 pm 
Supporter

Served in: RAAF(AR) Air Combat Group
It is the world's most gorgeous watch. I've lusted after them for years too, and am in my fourth month of ownership (40th present). Thoroughly recommend the splurge, it feels so great to wear a beautiful piece like that. I've had a few chaps impressed by the choice too: a great conversation opener.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:13 pm 

digrar wrote:
We do it here, why not there?

http://www.armyshop.com.au/catalogue/di ... d/435.html

22F wrote:

http://www.armyshop.com.au/catalogue/di ... 12539.html

We do the watches here?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:27 pm 

Not at army shop, but they've branded just about everything else, no doubt someone at the Regiment has done up a lot of watches at some time or another.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:33 pm 

Only problem with your sword suggestion Dig - I want a live blade, service edition.
As in, not the presentation/parade piece :finga:
I could sling up on my back, or hang it off my horse tack just like the originals did, for those zombie encounter moments.

The parade piece is way too pretty for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:04 pm 

You know you wanted one of them, I hear it's the only reason you did the FAC...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:42 pm 

Curses... sprung again :smt011

I'd imagine your sources also told you I was planning on turning into a fat pogue, and beating my ugly boys over the head with the ceremonial sword as well? "pffff"

In fact, reminds me of a certain young gentlemen I knew when he was a staff cadet.
He was the first in the class to receive the not-so-coveted roll of toilet paper from the DS staff - as in the "dry your bl00dy eyes and harden up princess" award whilst on their first run out scrub, because apparently the little darling got a little tired and emotional out in the big, bad bush.

I actually scared the living be-jebus out of him whilst conducting a CTR on his section loc. The only reason this young gentleman even caught on I was in the position, was the because QUR's 2IC (former recon pl commander) was talking to me via field signals. He copped half a mag of blank at auto from about a meter away when he finally twigged I was creeping through the perimeter.

Last I heard, he was posted as Ack Adj for General Lo Choi, where the lad had more than enough adult supervision and wouldn't be left alone to his own devices with troops. Instead, he broke his ceremonial sword attempting to subdue his very expensive leather office chair from attacking him.

Some mother's do 'ave 'em...