AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
AusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter !
It is currently Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:43 pm

Some gave all. We will remember them.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Allergies to medication
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:51 pm 

G'day folks,

Passed my assessment day, no Leopard courses till later in the year.

My only issue is my 3R med classification. I had reactions to penicllin when I was a kid so it looks like I have to have the tests unless my GP has something good later in my medical history.

I've searched this forum, and it seems - as the DRF doc told me - that an allergy to penicllin is a problem. Anybody else in/been in the same boat?

My GP's on holidays, so I have to wait a few weeks till I can find out any more. It will be a huge blow if something like this holds me back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:23 pm 

I have a reaction to penicllin aswell. Found out after being in a few years. It is just put onto my med docs and that's it. No problems other than that.

But, I had been in for a little while before finding out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:15 pm 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
I've had alergic reactions as well, I did have penicilan again under close supervision from the doc and there was no dramas, that was documented and it was no problems.
My reaction was only a rash as well, so nothing too serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:10 am 

Thanks gents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:36 pm 

Yeah i got 3R because of penicllin. I got a rash once when a kid so they just assumed that i was allergic and i was never given it since that. Because of this DFR just sent me to a specalist and he pumped me full of the stuff and as fate would have it im not allergic.

Anyway its no big drama. Just make sure that you stay on DFR's tail so no one looses your papers. So you can avoid doing things twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:47 pm 

All clear. Now just waiting for the paperwork to go through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:30 pm 

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:56 am 

I told the bloke on the phone it was for defence force recruiting and got an appointment two weeks from when i called and my results and the letter to defence force recruiting was finished a week after that appointment. If you ask nicely they can fit you in usually

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:36 pm 

Ahh yes didn't read that you lived in Canberra. Yes I had a skin test and then a blood test, the skin test results come back straight away as they just show up there and then and the blood tests took about a week. Not sure as to what interdermal testing is, I was only tested for penicillin allergy but it all came but negative so all it well now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:37 pm 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
My penicillan reaction was a skin rash, I also had penicillan again later in life and had no reaction. I told the DFR doc that and he ticked a box and no more was said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next