AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
Locations of visitors to this pageAusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Blogs  • Pages •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter ! • RSS feed •  RSS feed  • Facebook page
It is currently Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:57 am

Some gave all. We will remember them.

The Australian | Defence News: Bishop to Europe: join war on ISTrauma spike as veterans returnUnknown Anzac to be buried 75 years onJakarta deal near on sea patrolsRAAF air strikes a step closerABC News | Just In: Fijian PM vows to jail overseas dissidents planning 'sedition'Fifth suspect arrested over migrant bodies found in truck in AustriaTens of thousands protest security bills outside Japan parliamentBritish neurologist Oliver Sacks dies aged 82.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: ADF GAP year.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:29 am 

Beazley warns on defence 'gap year'
October 15, 2006

The Federal Government's gap year national service proposal will not solve the problems of recruitment and "overstretching" within the Australian Army, Opposition Leader Kim Beazley said today.

Mr Beazley said he was not opposed in principle to the Government's plan to encourage school leavers to join the defence forces for a year, which was similar to the Labor Party's old ready reserve program.

But he warned people to be wary it doesn't lead to the introduction of "full-scale national service".

Defence Minister Brendan Nelson will tomorrow unveil plans to persuade high school graduates considering a gap year to join the defence forces instead of going backpacking or volunteering abroad, the Sunday Herald Sun reported today.

"I'd watch it very carefully to see that it's something that actually is the first stage of introducing the Labor Party's old scheme, as opposed to the first stage of introducing John Howard's old scheme when he came into politics with conscription," Mr Beazley said outside the ALP State Conference in Adelaide.

Mr Beazley said the proposal was a "reflection of how overstretched the army has become - and it's not a simple fix for that".

Post subject: Reserve training during GAP year
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:39 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has taken a GAP year after finishing school and tried to fit as much of the Commando Reserve training into this one year? Or will the dates for each of the courses not fit that well together? Since, if possible, combining this training with a part-time job would serve as a great GAP year that would result in a qualified Commando without having to fit the substantial training in amongst university.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:50 pm 

The defence force "GAP YEAR" :roll: hasnt started yet and commando will most definetly not be offered as a position. Also be aware that the GAP year is not a form of reserves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:18 pm 

Yeah mate, Bk344 is right. It is not the reserves, so that cancels out Cdo, it will not be SF, so that cancels out SFDRS. You will do your Basic training and try out some jobs, general duties and the like for the year to see what you want to do. Its like... paid work Exp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:57 pm 

The Gap Year thing starts 2008 yeah?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:19 pm 

noodles wrote:
The Gap Year thing starts 2008 yeah?

Yeah mate, it hasnt been confirmed as of yet. Looks like it though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:23 pm 

I'm thinking about just traveling next year and join up 2008 that way I can take advantage of it. I'll prob end up doing the full 4 years plus more but doesn't hurt just in case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:08 am 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
I don't think he is talking about the proposed army Gap year thingo. He's talking about having a gap year and trying to fit in as much of the commando course and continuation training as he can.
It takes regs about 18 months, so I doubt if he'll be able to do it, although he may be well on the way.

Post subject: gap year
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:47 pm 

the problem you'll face, which is the same problem most people face, is that unless you are part of the organsied SFDRS in which the courses lead straight into one another (more or less) you will have to wait a while until the courses become available, which can take time...or as my corporal at kapooka stated, get used to the army motto of "hurry up and wait"...

i got out of kapooka shortly before christmas and before my unit stopped parading, which i thought was good timing. But, when we went back, our sgt had told a few of us (that got out towards the end of the previous year) had, by no real fault of our own, missed out on getting into the Infantry courses we wanted/needed to do for at least a few months.

and you can't enrol in another course until you complete the ones before it...it sounds simple, and it is, but its something you should keep in mind.

Post subject: Plan to fast-track army recruits
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:34 pm 

December 15, 2006 - 11:49AM

The time it takes to apply to join the army will soon be slashed by 80 per cent, under a $1 billion federal government plan to recruit more people.

The Australian Defence Force (ADF) needs to recruit an extra
1,800 people every year and to reduce the numbers leaving by at least 500 to meet its targets.

The federal government will today announce a 10-year program to tackle the recruitment and retention problem.

Mr Howard said part of the problem was it currently took too long for new recruits to be accepted into the ADF.

"Amazingly the average processing time for somebody from the moment they apply to when the final decision is made and they are in is 30 weeks and we're going to reduce that to six,'' the prime minister told ABC radio today.

Mr Howard said the government was also going to revise some of the ADF's entry standards.

"Just because somebody has had asthma, that is not necessarily a reason to keep them out of the army,'' he said.

A military gap year scheme is another part of the plan, in which
1,000 young people each year will have an opportunity to join the defence force.

In order to retain those already in the service, the government is planning to reward skilled soldiers with paid bonuses and allowances.

Mr Howard said too many servicemen and women were being lured away from the army into the private sector.

"The huge problem is that unemployment is now so low and the economy is now so strong that it's increasingly hard to attract men and women to join the ADF and even harder to keep them in,'' he said.

Mr Howard said family commitments were also forcing personnel to move on.

"The fact that wives and husbands want jobs and careers as well, unless both the wife and the husband are members of the military - and there's an increasing incidence of that, then they find movements around more difficult,'' he said.

Mr Howard said the government was also looking at ways to cut down the need to travel.

"We do tend to move people around a lot, some of that is unavoidable, but perhaps we could over the years ahead reduce that,'' he said.

While welcoming the move, Labor leader Kevin Rudd the said the issue of retention within the armed forces was as big as recruitment.

"I don't believe in opposition for opposition's sake," Mr Rudd told reporters in Adelaide.

"If the Prime Minister comes up with a good idea, I'll tick it.

"But I say this though to the Prime Minister as well, he's got a problem with retention rates... our retention rates in the Australian Defence Forces are currently appalling.

"That is a matter of continuing challenge and crisis within our overall Australian military family."

Mr Rudd said the government's idea of using a post-year 12 gap year for the armed services was positive.

"I'm all for that, I think it's a very productive use of a gap year on the part of young people and I would urge young people to take it up," Mr Rudd said.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 66676.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next