AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
Locations of visitors to this pageAusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Blogs  • Pages •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter ! • RSS feed •  RSS feed  • Facebook page
It is currently Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:57 pm

Some gave all. We will remember them.

The Australian | Defence News: Singapore elevated to Kiwi status‘Combat radicalisation at schools’Bogus letter used to probe vet claimPM seals Singapore security pactTokyo ‘ready for Canberra alliance’ABC News | Just In: 'No protection' from intrusion by builders, Darwin flat owner saysMother of girl allegedly molested gives evidence against former ambassador's husbandProviders told they can't use 'primary health network' in any marketingFlinders Island hosts first Cabinet meeting, told no quick fix for communications.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gap Year
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:13 am 

Served in: Infantry. Former ARA, now ARES
Wojtek wrote:

What I have heard about the gap year is that it's paid work experience, that it isnt anything like a normal life in the military, that you dont actually learn that much if you did a year in the ARA and effectivly waste a year.

Well you hear wrong,

Say for example you do gap year and go in as Infantry, you do Kapooka and IETs the same as any other ARA member. The only difference is at the completion of your training instead of being sent to a battalion you go to a combat training center (CTC), which do these sort of activities, as opfor. Here is an another write up about what they do.

Another example would be if you went in as a gap year truckie, you do all the training similar to an ARA transport corps member and then go to CTC as a truckie.

Post subject: Re: ADF GAP year.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:54 pm 

Cheers skull, again that was only what I have heard about it.

Post subject: Re: Gap Year
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:29 pm 

Served in: RAR
Wojtek wrote:

What I have heard about the gap year is that it's paid work experience, that it isnt anything like a normal life in the military, that you dont actually learn that much if you did a year in the ARA and effectivly waste a year. When the DFR blokes came to our school they said they don't even mention the gap year because its crap.

But I guess it's not all negative, you get a $10,000 bonus if you stay after the one year (but I'm pretty sure you will make more if you go full time anyway) and if you absolutly hate it and you dont have to waste 4 years of your life (although as said it isnt anything like a regular military life), and it's an experience all the same.

Hopefully that helps in any way.

I originally enlisted as a GAP year at the start of '09, spent 2 months at CTC while my transfer to full time went through, am now at a full time RAR unit. I can tell you, categorically, that everything quoted is absolute crap.

Kapooka, Singleton is exactly the same as full time, you go through will the full time blokes. CTC is also a full time posting, you are just there because to get put into a section in a full time unit for a year is just unpracticle and there is no real point. So effictively, you do exactly the same thing, if not more as other full time people.The thing about CTC is you will be doing a hell of a lot more than you would if you were at a full time unit. Weapons qualifications (M4, Mag58, 84mm, 9mil) all quals that most guys in the battalion have to wait a long time for or never get. Alot of bush trips, again, your out there doing stuff rather than sitting around the cages reading ZOO magazine.

The $10,000 bonus. I think this is the reason alot of full time blokes were/are quite hospitable to GAP years. This, while not technically a lie, is false. "If you join up at the end of the year you'll get a $10,000 lump sum" is what my recruiter told me. Sounds good, what they convieniently forgot to mention is that in order to get this lump sum you need to complete your GAP year, get out, go and spend 3/4 years at uni getting a degree, come back and sign up full time. THEN you get your $10,000.

In the 4 years at Uni, not working, building up a hex debt you could of earned around $220k (thats without a deployment and on the lowest pay grade), and be out of the army, your roso would be up and you'll only be 21/22 out on civvy street with plenty of warry's to tell. Or you could have a bachelor of arts like every other pleb out there.

That last paragraph was pretty much the reason I decided to stay on, a decision I made whilst on a pack march at Singo [:D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:40 pm 

Thats true, again, the info I gave was what I have heard from recruiters and some from my mate who applied, but I guessed you prooved right that it is an opportunity to view military life and get a taste for it without being forced into a 4 year contract.

Post subject: After GAP year Vocational or tertiary Qual'n
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:17 pm 

Hi, I have tried searching for 'GAP year tertiary vocational' 'GAP year civilian institution' but haven't found anything relating to the question I am about to ask!?
I have looked on the defence jobs website for further information but I just can't find any.

'Those participants who complete their ADF Gap Year and go on to complete a Defence-recognised tertiary or vocational qualification at a civilian institution may receive a $10,000 bonus upon successfully re-joining the ADF in a full-time career within five years of successfully completing their Gap Year. '

Really, I am puzzled as too what sort of vocational/tertiary education qualifications they are referring too here, and if there is a list of these qualifications [that are defence recognised]. And does 'full-time career' also refer too the reserves, or only full time?

Any light shed would be much appreciated :smt017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:42 pm 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
http://www.defence.gov.au/dpe/pac/V2_Ch3_Pt5_Div6.htm

Basically you gain a degree or a recognised trade, reenlist within 5 years and you get the bonus. If you go to TAFE and get a cert 2 in nose picking, you probably won't get it, if you get a diesel fitter ticket, or do a degree and get into RMC then you'll get it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:49 pm 

digrar wrote:
http://www.defence.gov.au/dpe/pac/V2_Ch3_Pt5_Div6.htm

Basically you gain a degree or a recognised trade, reenlist within 5 years and you get the bonus. If you go to TAFE and get a cert 2 in nose picking, you probably won't get it, if you get a diesel fitter ticket, or do a degree and get into RMC then you'll get it.

Thanks for the link!
I feel that this questions is pushing your hospitality a bit, but do you think that a cert IV in Personal Training and then maybe a degree in Sports Science would be a go for a possible place as a PT Instructor?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:03 pm 

Served in: Infantry. Former ARA, now ARES
sterbsr wrote:
a cert IV in Personal Training and then maybe a degree in Sports Science would be a go for a possible place as a PT Instructor?

That is over-trained for a PTI, it will also won't fast track you to become a PTI as you will need to do it the military way. It will however give you a great advantage over other candidates.

To become a PTI in the Army you will need to do a Combat Fitness Leaders course (CFL) that is 8 weeks and gives you civi quals of cert III fitness leadership. Even if you already have that from outside the military if you want to be a CFL you will need to do that course as it is military specific and you won't learn it anywhere else.

The next stage is you will need to have excelled and gotten over 90% on your CFL course and be selected to go on to do the PTI course (this is an all service course), you will need to transfer to medical corps (if you aren't already) and will also need to complete your junior leaders course (this can be done after the completion of your PTI course). The PTI course is 9 months long once you have completed it and passed you will be promoted to CPL if you aren't one already.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:10 pm 

Skull got in before me, but this is my 2 cents worth;

The Cert IV won't mean anything to the ADF in the sense of earning you the bonus as it's neither a trade nor a degree. I'd wager that there'd be several thousand ADF members with the exact qual you've mentioned so it doesn' really put you ahead of the PT savvy members.

PTI's don't need to be degree qual'd, so it doesn't give you any real advantage there either. The ADF runs PTI course which equips you with the skills and knowledge you need to function in that role. Anything else, if needed, would be included in that course or subsequent career progression courses.

It can't hurt your application for a commission (or enlistment) to have something like Sports Science under your belt, but I'd be running it past DFR or checking the link Dig posted below for clarification/guidance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:17 pm 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
I'd say you'd be a no go for the bonus. If you took your degree and went to RMC, you'd get it. If you enlisted you wouldn't have a recognised trade and you wouldn't be looking at being able to be a PTI for a few years, then like Skull said they'd train you from scratch.
Think, plumber, electrician, carpenter, mechanic, fitter, chef as far as trades go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 59  Next