AusMilitary.com Formerly AusSpecialForces.com             
Locations of visitors to this pageAusSpecialForces.com
 Ausmilitary.com: Of this, we are certain.   Home •  Blogs  • Pages •  Contact •  Advertising •   Bookmark and Share  •  Become a Supporter ! • RSS feed •  RSS feed  • Facebook page
It is currently Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Some gave all. We will remember them.

The Australian | Defence News: Government keeps defence vowAvalon on the ascentPM’s $594m plan buoys shipbuildersSoftly, softly does it on ADF payPM backtracks on defence payABC News | Just In: Aid monitor says Australia 'benefitting' from PNG corruption'Greatest Show on Earth' to retire elephants after years of protestsBangladesh's Haque ruled out of remainder of World CupMan critical after WA immigration centre bashing.

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Operator Weapon Locating Radar - 20STA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:11 pm 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
You don't think that sort of question is a breach of OPSEC? I'll give you a bit of a tip, it is.
If you're in the unit already, ask the people who have been before, if you're not, wait until you get there and then ask.

Post subject: Re: Surveillance Aircraft Operator
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:02 pm 

1. IET focuses mainly on OPAMS due to there being no current in-service UAS. This wont change until Shadow (or something else) is purchased. ScanEagle courses are conducted when you get to the unit and it can be several months until you get on one.
2. You'll learn how to launch balloons and send MET messages to the gun-line, conduct tactical and non-tactical survey. Hopefully soon they'll start doing ground school for UAS stuff but unsure.
3. At the moment disorganized, you do IMT work, SIM training if ScanEagle qualed, AMS lessons and revision, sig work, airspace lessons etc.
4. 132 UAV Bty hasn't been deployed as a full Bty. They send a UAV gp to Afgan on 6 months rotations. The bulk of the gp comes from 132 with some members from 131 Bty.
5. As above, if selected for a deployment you do all the lead-up training (about 6 months) then do your tour.

20 STA regiment is undergoing some change at the moment due to un-certainty about the continued TA/SURV role and also whether a new UAS platform is coming.

Post subject: Weapons Locatin Radar Operator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:51 pm 

Hi all

I'm currently undergoing the recruitment process, my first preferance is the WLR position. So far i've found very little in depth information about this occupation, other than what on the DFR site and few other equivalents. It would be much appreciated if you could share with me suggestions for further reading and your opinions, experience and knowledge on the subject.

To my knowledge this is quite a diverse role, Im keen to find out:
*Are the units are highly mobile with frequent movement, and/or normally stationary for long periods.
*Being an indirect combat role, what dangers does this kind of soldier face in its different roles.
*when embedded with either a surveillence troop or radar detachment, what would be a typical operational senario be.

I'm interested in learning as much as I can about this job

cheers
tom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:53 pm 

Handy tip #7, stop learning about the radar and start learning about UAV's.
The radar trade is dead.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:08 am 

dylan221 wrote:
The radar trade is dead.

Until we get an enemy with MANPADs or comparible air assets? Counterbattery fire in North Korea recently would have been locating radars perhaps unless they just blasted all arty sites in range!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:56 pm 
Supporter

Served in: Timor 03 and 06, Southern Ocean/Antarctica, Afghanistan, et al,
dylan221 wrote:
The radar trade is dead.

I'll call bullshit on that. Project Land 19P7 is the Army Air Defence upgrade project which while somewhat off it's definitely coming. It's a pretty huge deal. Eventually we'll have static and mobile radars providing everything from Battlespace Mangement, Counter-Rocket Artillery Mortar (C-RAM) to Air Defence.

Don't drop the ball yet. Just ask South Korea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:17 pm 

It's been a bit of a mission finding decent information on this occupation, I'm about to hit the assessment stage of the recruitment process (once more) after success with a medical appeal.
What I'm about to say is based on my endless research on the trade and personal opinions and guesses. What truly goes on will only be made clear to me once I or if I actually get in and commence employment training.
The job description suggests that the role comprises not only of (but mainly this role) the radar detachment, then listening post, reconnaissance troop and surveillance section.
Are you expected to engage the enemy? No I believe not unless its absolutely necessary, hence the indirect combat role tag and remember there will most likely be combat soldiers serving in your defence, you can expect to be staring at a computer screen for hours and get a very sore ass and never have the opportunity to see close quarter fighting.
However as it suggests if serving in a recon or survl role I would expect you might be serving along side artillery observers and scouts on observation posts using portable radar systems such as the AMSTAR which requires a direct field of vision, which I assume is operated exclusively by this trade.
In a situation as such combat opportunities can exist. At the time being the ADF are pushing to get their C-RAM capabilities up to scratch with the lease of the SAAB giraffe AMB radar stationed at Tarin Kowt to warn of incoming rocket attacks, which will be extended to a few more of the FOBs in the near future I believe that's the only op radar activity I'm aware of. But that's just my insight, I'm hoping that someone who served as one can elaborate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:17 pm 

Hi, I am currently applying for this job in the ADF and would appreciate it if someone could answer a question

WTF is a crew served combat weapon!?

I have looked all around the net but I could not find an answer. Is the above term just fancy defencejobs jargon for a Mag 58 machine gun or a mortar?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:44 pm 

Served in: Infantry. Former ARA, now ARES
Keanos01 wrote:

WTF is a crew served combat weapon!?

it is a weapon that is served by a crew.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:10 pm 

Served in: 8/9RAR & 6RAR
Keanos01 wrote:
Is the above term just fancy defencejobs jargon for a Mag 58 machine gun or a mortar?

It's not a Defence Jobs term, it's a widely used term for that sort of weapon system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next